Folegandros is reachable only by sea. This is a significant reason why it has retained so much of it’s charm – it is not reachable by plane thus not subject to mass tourism. Getting there is all part of the fantastic journey. Always give yourself at least a little flex time when planning travel.
There are two kinds of ferries traveling to Folegandros from Piraeus. Please note: ferry fees are estimated, in EUROS.
- The slower ferry costs approximately 55€ one way and takes eight hours from Pireaus (the port of Athens) to Folegandros.
- The faster ferry (hydrofoil) costs approximately 85€ one way and takes 3.5 hours from Pireaus (the port of Athens) to Folegandros.
Of course, you can also travel to Folegandros by ferry from other Greek islands.
Ferry schedules are confirmed in spring, closer to the time of the workshop, but you can plan around the times listed at the ferry website here, as they are similar each year.
Be sure to check ferry schedules and revisit the ferry websites as we approach the workshop dates, as schedules and fees may shift slightly. You can purchase ferry tickets in advance.
Please consult the ferry websites for information about purchasing and picking up your ferry tickets:
Plan on arriving in ATHENS with time to travel by ferry boat from PIRAEUS (the port of Athens) to Folegandros.
Plan to arrive on FOLEGANDROS by Saturday evening when we will meet for an informal dinner together in a local taverna, around 8:00 - 8:30pm.
If you are coming from Piraeus (port of Athens), you must be in Piraeus on Saturday morning to catch the EARLY ferry to Folegandros.
Another Travel Option:
If time and travel plans allow, fly to a nearby island and ferry from there (for example, Santorini is a 2-hour ferry ride from Folegandros and has an inter-European, international, airport).
A terrific source for information about travel within Greece is Matt Barrett's website: http://www.greektravel.com/
arriving at folegandros:
- Notify your hotel of your arrival time on Folegandros in advance.
- Arrange transport from the Folegandros port to your hotel. Hotels often send a van to meet their guests at the port. There will also be public buses meeting the ferry. You will need to walk to your hotel from the bus stop if you don't arrange other travel.
- If you are arriving very early in the morning, book your hotel for the night before (standard hotel practice).
- Allow sufficient time for travel to and from Folegandros. This way, your voyage to Folegandros can be a pleasurable part of your Greece experience. Saturday can be a day to explore Folegandros, swim, and settle in.
- You will not be able to DEPART from Folegandros on the final day of class, which will include some early evening group time. There are ferries departing Folegandros the day after the workshop ends (June 23).
Our first meeting is dinner, Saturday evening!